Despite these last lingering 90-degree days, fall is HERE! Here is a colorful and hearty fall favorite that will have you welcoming the change of season while holding on to that last bit of summer.
Smoky Lentil and Sweet Potato Tacos
Ingredients for Smoky Lentils and Sweet Potato
1/2 cup dry lentils
1.5 cups water
1 sweet potato or yam, cubed (1-1.5 cups)
1/2 medium red onion, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
1 Tablespoon Tomato paste or 1/2 a large ripe tomato finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili pepper or 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce, chopped
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder or cumin seeds
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1/2 teaspoon dry oregano
1/2 teaspoon dry basil
3/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
a generous dash of black pepper
1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce(optional)
1-2 teaspoon lime juice
Ingredients for Tacos
Hard or soft Tacos
Finely chopped Lettuce or cabbage
Salsa of choice (I used pico de gallo)
avocado, jalapenos, etc
1. Soak the lentils for half an hour. Chop up the potatoes, get the ingredients ready. Drain the lentils, wash and keep ready.
2. In a deep pan, add oil and heat on medium heat. Add onion and cook until golden.(5 to 6 mins)
3. Add all the spices, herbs, salt, tomato paste/tomato and mix well. Cook for a minute. (2-3 minutes if using a tomato)
4. Add the washed lentils and water. Mix, cover and cook on low-medium heat for 15 minutes.
5. Add the cubed sweet potato, Sriracha, mix and cook covered for another 15-25 minutes until lentils and sweet potato are tender and all liquid is absorbed.
6. Add lime juice. taste and adjust for salt and spice. Add a dash of liquid smoke for extra smokyness.
If using canned/pre-cooked lentils or black beans: Add cubed Sweet potato and 1/4 cup water to the onion, spices, tomato mixture(step 3). Mix, cover and cook for 15 minutes at medium heat. Add drained lentils/beans and salt(depends on if the lentils are salted or not), mix and cook covered until sweet potato cubes are tender.
Warm the tacos, then load them with lettuce, warm lentil mixture, fresh Salsa, sliced avocado (if using), cilantro and lime juice.
Serve immediately. Makes 8-10 tacos.
Source: Vegan Richa